Jerusalem

Jerusalem
my home

Monday, August 20, 2007

A different look on things

Tzzit Tzzit.
Tzit Tzit
Tsit Tsit

Well, however you spell it, it's one of those things that you might see some Jewish people wearing.

I wrote an iTorah about it. If you want to read it for yourself, go here

The mitzvah of tzit tzit wearing, is something that means a lot to me. I wore my tzit tzit all year during junior year. The only times I would not have it on my body was while I was playing sports (because it gets in the way of goalie pads) and would wear dresses or things that would not work well with tzit tzit underneath. I felt a lot more connected to Hashem and Judiasm while I wore them.

This summer at Kutz I stopped wearing them. I gave them to another girl to wear them because she wanted to try it. Before I did, I asked her, "Do you understand why people wear tzit tzit, and why do you want to wear them?" She kind of shook her head and didn't really know. She thought that it would be "cool" to wear them. I made her read my iTorah for starters.

It just makes me upset sometimes. How can someone be ignorant but want to do the mitzvah. Alright, good do the mitzvah but at least know why you are doing it and what it means.

I got over it. She wore tzit tzit. She gave it back to me after I week. Then I got my new tzit tzit in the mail. It was too big. I started getting frustrated with Judiasm. And then I just stopped wearing tzit tzit.

At first I just stopped because the tzit tzit would not work well underneath my cute clothes. But then I realized how different everything was. I use to be that girl who wore tzit tzit. I was one of the first ones. Not having that anymore kind of made me upset. But I didnt wear tzit tzit to claim fame. I'm not that girl. I wore it because I wanted that connection with Hashem, the Torah, but once again I didnt really know as much as I do now.

So I havent worn my tzit tzit since Kutz, and actually I gave them away to a girl who wanted to try them. I plan on buying a new pair once I get to Israel.

But what are your ideas on tzit tzit.
Here's his idea on this mitzvah

3 comments:

Kenny said...

I don't know much about this especially since I am not Jewish but I think that this is a fundamental truth that is been integrated into many cultures. For instance in Zoroastrianism they too wear holy garments which represent their worthiness before God. As some one who is Mormon I also will wear garments which represent the covenants, and commandments, and represent spiritual purity... Yet I am seeing this cross culturally and that means it must be an important truth...with many implications.

Kenny said...

I don't know much about this especially since I am not Jewish but I think that this is a fundamental truth that is been integrated into many cultures. For instance in Zoroastrianism they too wear holy garments which represent their worthiness before God. As some one who is Mormon I also will wear garments which represent the covenants, and commandments, and represent spiritual purity... Yet I am seeing this cross culturally and that means it must be an important truth...with many implications.

Zvi said...

Except for situations where safety mandates tucking in or removing tzitzit (including life danger), you should have tzitzit attached to four-cornered garments worn as the outermost layer of clothing, and these must include a deep blue twisted cord. Anything less is pointless.
Accordingly, your tzitziyot should look like this:

http://www.caraitas.org/Karaite-Korner/tzitzit.html

or

http://realmessiah.name/catalog/images/tzitzit_braided.gif

If you know how to braid chalah, you can do the same to make your own tzitziyot.

Make them yourself or buy ones only produced by Jews. Never purchase from dubious (read: Messyantic) sources where the manufacturers' identity is uncertain.

Shabbat Shalom