Jerusalem

Jerusalem
my home

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Mark Bloom. AH!

So when anyone from Kutz hears that name...basiclly you get some kind of reaction.

I remember my intial reaction, okay so this guy is doing services a little bit differently, I'll embrace it. I was even somewhat ready because one of my good friends was helping lead it and was singing in services. I even sat in the front of the beit am.

I think the news article is that Mrs. Cohen wrote well, view here is the people who walked out weren't ones that really cared about services. Yeah some were, but the kids who stayed were the ones who probably respect the service way more. I mean thats why I stayed. I even tried to embrace it. I got into it. Sure, I didn't connect to the service but do you expect to connect to every single service you go to? Honestly it's ridiculous that they walked out. Some of the people who did walk out were kids who talk during services, who don't get a crap about any of that. They just got upset by ONE service and then go and FREAK OUT about it.

You have no idea how much that makes me upset. And that's when the reform jewish movement got a wake up call. because of those minyans in bathrooms and supply closets.

Maybe they should of gotten the perspective of someone who actually cares about services and gives respect to people because I understand how hard it is to put together a service in front of lots of teenagers. It's called being a songleader. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

ALSO to add what lovely Josh has pointed out to me is the whole humiliation thing. I forgot about that. There for I also praticed Torah. I love it!

2 comments:

Josh Whinston said...

I am so glad you feel the way you do about the service, it shows you have real perspective on what happened. I feel much like you. I didn't like the service, but certainly wasn't going to leave. Causing the type of embarassment we caused for Mr. Bloom is forbidden in our tradition. When we lose sight of the other because they don't practice the same way we do, we have lost sight of Torah, and the reason we pray in the first place.

David said...

Obviously intentionally embarrassing someone is forbidden, but I question whether that is what happened.

In his comments in the Kutz "Hook Up," Bloom said that he was unaware that there had even been a controversy surrounding the Ma'ariv until the newspaper had contacted him!

Leaving something that makes you uncomfortable is no more an act of shaming someone else than saying a polite "no thank you" to the chabadnikim on the street when they beg you to wrap their leather or go party in their booth.