Jerusalem

Jerusalem
my home

Friday, August 17, 2007

Shabbat Shalom

Shabbat.

It's our seventh day. Its that day of rest.

Depending on your traditions, you might be just hanging out, not tying your shoes, not cooking meals or making fire.

Or maybe you might be finding time to do all those things you can't do during the week. Like play sports or go shopping.

Whatever it is, everyone has their own ways of celebrating Shabbat.

This Summer at Kutz I was chanllenged by a Rabbi from Flordia to take time out of my crazy and hetic teenager life to actually relax and enjoy Shabbat. My first reaction is, are you kidding me? That's when I have track meets! Thats when I get to go and do all the things like homework and catch up on projects! How could I possibly make time for something that happens every single week. I mean that's why I'm a reform jew! I can do whatever I want!

Well that's the thing. That's what I would of said last year.
"I'm a reform Jew, I can do whatever I want!"

Growing is a beautiful thing. I know it's going to be hard, but since I've come home from Kutz I've gone to services every single Friday night. It's a start. I'm a fan of praying and whatnot, but I'm not a fan of the way my temple does things. And well, I got over it tonight.

Then again there were a lot of people there and the new Rabbi broke out his Ibanez guitar...and when a clergy memeber songleads with a guitar it just makes me and my family so happy.

Maybe I can do this whole Reform thing. We will see where Israel takes me.

It all starts in 10 days.

But I've got a question for you, the reader, how do you set apart Shabbat from the rest of the week?

2 comments:

Josh Levin said...

I celebrate Shabbat by doing just that, I celebrate. It's an amazing tradition we have that we get a super important holiday every week! Then again I could just be really tired, but I love Shabbat. :]

David A.M. Wilensky said...

I went to services earlier this evening. Then I retired to a nearby coffee shop with my mother for some off the cuff torah study.

Tomorrow I'll go to torah study at synagogue and then lead services there. Then, I'll be going shopping for some college crap and then watching Doctor Who DVDs later.

All, of course, while drinking Coke.